Though I’m sure some folks will find this incredibly difficult to believe, I must confess:
Yes, even we fishing pros occasionally (or slightly more often than that!) get a big, fat case of…
The dreaded disease, slipperlyslimyfigeritus. Otherwise known as “Butterfingers”
So, to prove that those of us in the professional ranks aren’t god-like super hereos, but instead mere mortals just like yourselves, I present you with these fine examples from the blooper reel.
Cue the goofy circus music with the cartoon car crash soundtrack!
1) Mixed Martial Arts: Here, I’m I narrowly ducking out of the way of an Alaska coho’s favorite move: the sandy, slimy tail slap — rarely fatal but when landed, this move usually deals your ego a pretty solid blow (especially when fishing buddies are present).
2) In this one, a dark Northern California buck steelie tries the ol’ Slithery Snake move to no avail – check out that super human concentration and steely resolve. Nice form, eh? Kinda makes you think I could catch a mosquito with chopsticks!!
3) Premature Release: A steelhead telling me what part of its anatomy I can kiss for disguising a chemically sharpened hook as a cluster of perfectly innocuous-looking eggs.
4) And because I’m happy to take others down with me, I’ll throw pal Ron “Millman” Milam under the bus with this shad fumble.
5) Since Ron’s future in fishing has just been severely damaged, why not kick him when he’s already down? He swears that this little game of Twister was embarked upon by two consulting adults…the steelhead, however, couldn’t be reached for comment…
6) Why let Ron and I have all the fun? Here’s Ralph B. getting worked by an American River steelie last winter…