To mark the release of my new how-to book, Plug Fishing for River Salmon, here’s a list of some of the essential gear that I talk about in the book:
Shimano Tekota 300LC
- Shimano Tekota 300LC – $179.99
I’ve been running these babies for years…and they are absolutely bulletproof! Even had one blow out of the boat and bounce down the freeway. Aside from a few scratches, I still used it every day.
Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 6500 LC
- Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 6500 LC – $99.95-$134.99
A good classic, durable reel with a price tag that’s a little more affordable than the Tekota’s. The line counter is really handy – especially for flat-lining.
Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 6500 C3
- Abu Garcia Ambassadeur C3 – $109.95
For the price, it’s hard to find a more reliable reel.
Yakima Bait MagLip 4.5
- Yakima Bait MagLip 4.5 – prices vary
My all-time favorite flatlining plug for kings. MagLips dive deep, run true and are extremely fishy!
Luhr-Jensen K15 Kwikfish
- Luhr-Jensen Kwikfish K15 – $8.99
One of the greatest salmon plugs of all time!
Luhr-Jensen K16 Kwikfish
- Luhr-Jensen Kwikfish K16 – $8.99
The K16 is a beast and flat-out catches kings.
Lamiglas XCC 801 GH
- Lamiglas XCC 801 GH – $210.58
A super flat-line rod for kings on smaller rivers. Works great for steelies, too!
Lamiglas XCC 802 GH
- Lamiglas XCC 802 GH – $232.98
When you need a little more beef while flat-lining, the 802 is deadly.
Luhr Jensen Jet Diver
- Luhr Jensen Jet Diver, Clear, 4-Inch – $10.99
Jet Divers are great tools for getting plugs (bait too) down deep.
Danielson Slinky Weights
- Danielson Slinky Weights – $4.99
A long-time favorite of drift anglers, Slinkies also are extremely useful when you are flat-lining plugs in deep spots.
- Yakima Bait HawgNose Flatfish – There isn’t a big lure out there that can handle big kings in fast water like the Hawgnose.
- GLoomis HSR 1021C – I ran these in Alaska for years on the Nushagak River, where we caught so many kings it was ridiculous. Never had a breakage issue.
- PLine Spectrex Braided Fishing Line, 50-Pound Test – Pretty much the only main line I use these days for salmon.
- Atlas Mikes Miracle Thread – Hands-down the best thread for sardine wrapping plugs.
- Duo Lock Snap– A must have for attaching plugs to your leader.
Anytime you purchase a product through the Amazon links you find on this site, I get a very small commission – there’s no extra cost to you. I only highlight products that I have used and believe in.
By using these affiliate links you can help me keep this website up and running (and avoid blinding you with a bunch of annoying banner and pop-up ads!). For more info, check out our Affiliate Disclosure page here.
Thank you for supporting www.fishwithjd.com!